Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Vitamin C Serum!

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and prevents free radical damages. It works wonders for the skin, and helps with anti-aging.

Over the counter vitamin C serums are expensive because they need stabilizers. Vitamin C oxidizes very quickly. When it oxidizes, it becomes a free radical. I vote just make the serum yourself. Cheaper, natural and in my opinion, works far better.

What you'll need:

  • A dark glass bottle and dropper
  • Distilled water (I got a jug from the grocery store for $1.19)
  • 100% Pure vegetable glycerin
  • L Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C powder! Do not use vitamin C tablets, it must be pure vitamin c!)
  • A glass bowl for mixing
  • Measuring spoons

In my mixing bowl I add the Vitamin C powder and distilled water and mix together until the powder is fully dissolved. This is very important!
Once the L Ascorbic Acid is fully dissolved, you may add the vegetable glycerin. This sets the serum and you have just concocted vitamin c serum, hooray! It is good for one week. You wont have a whole lot in your bottle, so you'll need to make more by then anyways! 

If for whatever reason your vitamin c serum changes color or solidifies, DO NOT USE IT. THIS IS DANGEROUS.

Depending on whether or not your skin is used to vitamin c or not, there are a few options for you to choose from. I use 20% and am convinced I will never age. For those just starting, consider starting slow. I still feel a tingling sensation every time I put it on. 

Formulas:

5% serum: 1/4 teaspoon of vitamin C powder, 4 tsp distilled water, 3/4 tsp glycerin.

10% serum: 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder, 2 tsp distilled water, 1/4 tsp glycerin.

15% serum: 3/8 tsp vitamin C powder, 2 tsp distilled water, 1/8 tsp glycerin.

20% serum: 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder, 3/4 tsp distilled water, 1/4 tsp glycerin.

Remember, Vitamin C is EXTREMELY sensitive to light, which means if you decide to use it in the morning or during the day, where a high SPF. This should also be stored in a cool, dark place. Sunlight will make it oxidize quicker.

Another product to end my little entry I'd like to point out is St. Ives "Timeless Skin" collagen elastin moisturizer. I got it from Walgreens for $4.99 and this product I put on all over my body after showers to also help my skin continue to produce lots of collagen. :)



Hope this helped you out, enjoy! 
From the person who refuses to age (or grow up),
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment